Olivia specialised in the law as it relates to children, acts in all levels of court and has appeared in the High Court and Court of Appeal both with and without a leader. Olivia has considerable experience of the application of human rights law to children law cases, in particular claims for declarations and/or damages made against Local Authorities. In the private law field she has extensive experience of complex child arrangements disputes, and is regularly instructed in intractable cases as well as having experience being instructed on behalf of the child.
Children (Public Law)
Olivia has a busy Public Law practice and acts for parents, children and their Guardians and Local Authorities. Olivia regularly represents vulnerable parents, and has particular experience with clients with learning disabilities and mental health problems.Olivia's areas of experience include:
Notable cases include:
- Serious physical injury, including complex and conflicting medical evidence;
- Sexual abuse;
- Factitious or Induced Illness (FII)/Insulin poisoning;
- Serious domestic violence;
- Disclosure and public interest immunity (PII) issues relating to children;
- Revocation of Placement Orders.
Children (Private Law)
Olivia is regularly instructed in complex private law proceedings, including:
- All aspects of child arrangements order, including ‘implacable hostility’ cases, ‘no contact’ cases and shared care arrangements;
- Representation of the child through a r16.4 Guardian;
- Temporary/permanent leave to remove from the jurisdiction;
- Internal relocation;
- Disputes between same-sex couples regarding child arrangements;
- Allegations of physical, sexual and emotional abuse;
- Education, religion and change of name disputes.
Judicial Review & Administrative Law
Olivia has experience of cases involving public policy in family law. She has acted pro bono in test cases involving issues of legal aid, human rights and the lawfulness of actions taken by public bodies.
Domestic Violence & Injunctions
Olivia represents clients who are seeking or responding to applications for injunctions linked to domestic violence or occupation of the family home.
Court of Protection
Olivia is developing a practice in the Court of Protection.
Case management and FPR 2010, PD 12J (A v C)
Family analysis: Olivia Magennis considers the decision in A v C and the application of Family Procedure Rules 2010 (FPR 2010), Practice...
Williams V LB of Hackney
Deirdre Fottrell QC and Louise MacLynn are at the Supreme Court today in the case of Williams...